The Borough Council is consulting on a ‘vision’ for the town centre, which they will use to compete for government Future High Streets funding. This may have some impacts on cycle routes and facilities.
The consultation ends 30 June, and can be found at https://www.northampton.gov.uk/northamptonforward
It would be great if some cyclists were able to respond, to make sure our views are represented.
Some questions regarding cycling impacts:
– generally, no mention of cycling that I can see, so main point is that cycling must be considered and facilities improved by this plan
– Marefair/ Horse Market – raised table etc, shouldn’t just be about pedestrians – what about improving cycle route? (eg cyclist – level traffic lights?) ;
– new openings into Abington St: contraflow cycle lane needed in one of them;
– Greyfriars plans – existing cycle route via Sheep St needs retained and improved; add new route from Mounts into Abington St (see previous point)
– Dychurch Lane / Ridings: maintain and improve existing cycle route;
– GENERAL: need better, safer cycle parking in all main shopping areas, and safer routes to get there.