Philip and Rowan are leading this out-of-county ride from Sleaford to Lincoln and return. Philip writes:
This Sunday CTC Northampton rides to the beautiful city of Lincoln. The route is flat or slightly rolling – with the notable exception of Lincoln itself. The route contains a number of points of interest, from villages with historical connections to a WW2 airfield – and the magnificence of Lincoln Cathedral!
- Meet in Sleaford at 10.00 a.m. – Details of exact meeting point to follow
- Elevenses in Ruskington; lunch in Lincoln
- Bring a lock
- Distance approximately 50 miles
- Gentle gradients – apart from one!
- Current forecast is to be warm (20 – 24 C) with sunny intervals but a chance of light rain and only a light breeze from the south
- It is important that you let Philip know if you are coming – 01604 720522 or firstname.lastname@example.org
After a short stretch northwards on the A15 we turn off east through Leasingham for early elevenses at Ruskington Garden Centre. Suitably strengthened for the arduous flatlands of North Kesteven, we proceed through various small villages to pass Metheringham WWII airfield. After skirting the Fens we will reach the outskirts of Lincoln through Canwick. In Lincoln there awaits the cobbled challenge of Michaelgate, which some may prefer to walk up. (Distance to Lincoln c 25 miles)
There will be a chance for a brief look in the magnificent Cathedral. Lunch will be in the Cathedral refectory or nearby.
We will take a good cycle path out of town through the Hykehams, then cross the rather flat Witham valley through Bassingham and Navenby and eventually back to Sleaford.
We hope to see you on Sunday. Final details to follow.